CWD’s Annual Kicking Up Our Heels
The Center for Women & Democracy celebrates International Women’s Day by heading to the Governor’s Mansion in Olympia where we toast the women of the Administration, on the Supreme Court and in the state Senate and House. We also honor and recognize women who are making great strides to advance other women in the state by giving them our Kicking Up Our Heels Award, to women who’ve stood up, spoken up, and stepped up to protect the rights of women.
What have we got to celebrate as far as women’s equality here in Washington?
- Lots of new mayors
- Lots of new legislators
- The largest majority of Supreme Court women justices of any high court in the world
- Lots of legislation proposed to help women
- Three of the largest retail businesses now have parental leave — brought to you by two of the women who graduated from our own Center’s Leadership Institute
- Another of our favorite airlines is in the top 1% of corporations with the most women on their corporate boards
- An agency right here in our backyard just passed the most progressive policy in the country to triple the amount of contracts to women businesses
In 2018, we had high tea at the Supreme court, then headed over the the Governor’s place for a delicious reception with wine and food prepared by the Mansion’s chef. We met new women mayors, current and former governors, our women legislators, supreme court justices, women corporate leaders and public agencies making our lives better.
Learn more about our signature event
Check out our video to learn more about Kicking Up Our Heels 2014